Individual artists, ensembles, and arts organizations are eligible to apply. Artists must:
- Have either a BA or BFA in theatre, dance, music, or visual arts OR the equivalent in training or experience. Writers must have a college degree and evidence of professional writing experience
- Be active in a professional community and regularly perform/exhibit/publish in their discipline
- Demonstrate ability and skills to work in an educational setting with K–12 students
- Be an adult; have only adult group members
Returning artists must have satisfactory evaluations from past participation in Artists in Schools.
Categories: Applications are accepted in one of four categories:
- Five Day Writer Residency
- Workshop/Residency designed for Students with Disabilities
Disciplines: Programs should qualify in one or more of our approved disciplines:
- Visual Arts
Strong connection to a non-arts disciplines (e.g. history, languages, STEM [Science, Technology, Engineering, Math]) is encouraged but not required. Programs focusing on areas such as acrobatics, aerobic dance, art therapy, clowning, cosmetology, juggling, karaoke, magic, and martial arts are not eligible to apply.
Requirements: Programs must meet certain requirements to be accepted. To be successful, performances, workshops, or residencies must:
- be of high artistic merit
- reflect the artist’s professional training and experience
- place primary emphasis on teaching students about or through an arts discipline
- offer more than what a classroom/arts teacher could provide
- be appropriate for students in the grade levels that participate
- support educational guidelines as set forth in the Common Core curriculum and North Carolina Essential Standards. These curriculum standards can be found at http://www.dpi.state.nc.us/curriculum/
- have supplementary educational materials (study guides, teacher guides, lesson plans, etc.) provided to the school before the program
- occur on school premises
- occur during a school’s regular hours
- have set rates for ALL related expenses (either folded into fee or listed), including travel, food, lodging and supplies.