The Griot’s Gourd is a performance with storytelling instruments made from gourds. Through both traditional and original melodies, singing and dancing, The Magic of African Rhythm’s modern-day griots make connections between West Africa and North Carolina. Audiences are invited on stage to become part of the magic. Students will see, hear, and know for themselves that there is much more to Africa than just drums.
Both In-person and Virtual options available.
The Magic of African Rhythm began as a family ensemble in 1985, performing, teaching, and creating African art. In 2010, Founders Mama and Baba Shabu relocated to West Africa to build a cultural center and artisan’s workshop on a 10-acre farm in Liberia. Their children, multi-instrumentalists Mabinti and Teli, are modern-day griots and continuing the legacy of their elders.
- Program Type: Performance
- Discipline: Dance, Music, Storytelling
- Grade Level: Elementary, High, Middle
- Cultural Context: African, African-American, Caribbean, North Carolina
- Accepts bookings in Johnston County