KINETIKids Workshops are designed to bring movement into the teaching of academic curriculum and aesthetic literacy. Each one-day activity-based workshop is paired with a corresponding performance video from Kinetic Works repertoire. It also comes with a pdf handbook that includes dance vocabulary, curriculum-based activities and information about the performance. You can print this and keep it in your media center for teachers to use forever.
Schools choose from the workshop menu below and select the desired grade. Martha Connerton will conduct a one-hour workshop for up to five classes per day. Upon booking the workshop school reps will receive the link to a related performance video. It can be used as a follow up to enhance the workshop experience and to share with the entire school.
1) KINETYX Active Learning Workshops: Creative Movement and Choreography skills are explored while learning concepts relating to math, science or multicultural. Choose one of our pre-arranged programs:
Movin’ Into Math | Science in Motion | Around the World
2) The Four Seasons: Creative Movement and Choreography skills are explored while learning concepts relating to weather, ecosystems, plant and animal life related to the four seasons. Comes with classroom workbook and a link to the video performance of The Seasons Ballet: A whirlwind trip around the seasons with colorful costumes, puppetry and scenery. Compatible with curriculum for K-8.
3) Beat Box Ballet: Learn some cools moves that combine ballet with street dance. Choreograph solos, duets, trios, quartets, and a group dance. Comes with a classroom workbook and link to the video of Martha Connerton’s creation for Charlotte Ballet 2: Saxy Thang, a lively ballet set to beat box sax tunes by Derek Brown. Compatible with curriculum for 3-8.
4) Ballet for Everyone: Learn basic ballet skills, vocabulary, history and choreograph a short group ballet that includes patterns, sequencing, geometric forms, transitions and composition concepts. No prior dance experience needed but can also be geared for more experienced dance classes. Comes with a classroom workbook and link to the video of Martha Connerton’s Ballet Lecture/Demonstration, featuring four gifted students. Compatible with dance curriculum for K-8.
Martha Connerton has over 30 years of experience as a teaching artist. She has worked for Lincoln Center Institute, Kennedy Center VSA, Blumenthal Education Institute, and is on state and county rosters throughout the Carolinas. She received a 2018/19 Creative Renewal Fellowship from the Arts and Science Council of Charlotte/Mecklenburg. Martha Connerton/Kinetic Works is on the Artist Rosters for North and South Carolina, Raleigh-Wake and Charlotte-Mecklenburg Arts Councils. The company serves thousands of students annually.
- Program Type: Workshop/Residency
- Discipline: Dance, STEAM
- Grade Level: Elementary, High, Middle
- Cultural Context:
- Accepts bookings in Johnston County
- Virtual option available